Answered GSC

UpdatedModder

Reaction score
Does Anyone Know Anywhere I Can Like Go To Learn More About Gsc Like How To Make A Function, loop, viarables ect...

(Sorry Im Still Kinda New)

JayCoder

Veteran
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah Had A Look At All Them Im Looking For Somthing That Teaches You To Put A Function Together :grinning:
Yes u should learn c++, but not 100% nessary for getting into gsc, i will link u raw format uncrypted bo2 when i get home, has all gscs from bo2 game u can look through it and grab amd tinker with ****, basically mod tools gsc released source but without the mod tools

P!X

Head Moderator
Staff member
Head Staff Team
Reaction score
That would also help him out alot good job man, I'm sure this ll help him
Thx :smile:
I think for gsc you just need:
Basic syntax knownledge for c/c++ or c#.....
Motivation and being interrested into the gsc scripting language annndddd learning by doing is the best thing i think

JayCoder

Veteran
Staff member
Reaction score
Thx :grinning:
I think for gsc you just need:
Basic syntax knownledge for c/c++ or c#.....
Motivation and being interrested into the gsc scripting language annndddd learning by doing is the best thing i think
I see bo3 gsc being more c# with a twist of c++ bo2 i see as being basic math and english honestly, i do belive hands on learning is the best thoe

vampytwist

"Don't you trust me?"
Reaction score
Honestly just read the docs from mod tools from waw, bo1 and bo3 theres plenty of information in them to get you started, also hands on and messing around is probably the best way to learn and look through the raw files and look at how stuff is done and familiarise yourself with their built in functions/methods etc. Also don't be afraid to ask questions If you're stuck or needing help remember people are always willing to lend a helping hand as long as you're willing to learn and not just expect to be spoon fed.

Good sites for learning about cod scripting:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

P!X

Head Moderator
Staff member
Head Staff Team
Reaction score
Honestly just read the docs from mod tools from waw, bo1 and bo3 theres plenty of information in them to get you started, also hands on and messing around is probably the best way to learn and look through the raw files and look at how stuff is done and familiarise yourself with their built in functions/methods etc. Also don't be afraid to ask questions If you're stuck or needing help remember people are always willing to lend a helping hand as long as you're willing to learn and not just expect to be spoon fed.

Good sites for learning about cod scripting:

But it still needs a basic syntax understanding otherwise you will just look for strings and edit them = leeching

vampytwist

"Don't you trust me?"
Reaction score
But it still needs a basic syntax understanding otherwise you will just look for strings and edit them = leeching

Suppose, but if you already know the basics of programming/scripting looking through the raw files and stuff will give you some basic understanding of the syntax and it also explains it in the doc files which I've suggest he use as well.

P!X

Head Moderator
Staff member
Head Staff Team
Reaction score
Suppose, but if you already know the basics of programming/scripting looking through the raw files and stuff will give you some basic understanding of the syntax and it also explains it in the doc files which I've suggest he use as well.
Yeah true
But if you never learned anything about programming/scripting before it will look like a language from a other planet
So basic programming syntax stuff is very helpfull

vampytwist

"Don't you trust me?"
Reaction score
Yeah true
But if you never learned anything about programming/scripting before it will look like a language from a other planet
So basic programming syntax stuff is very helpfull

Oh defiantly I remember the I first started out haha was a nightmare but easily picked up if you're dedicated.

vampytwist

"Don't you trust me?"
Reaction score
Also this may help you out.

Credits to Shark for writing this up:

Contents
--------------------------
Setting Up
Understanding The Syntax
Understanding Variables
Using Includes
Basic Scripting
Threading
Running The GSC
GSC Functions
Coding A Function Neatly
FAQ

Setting Up

In order to code GSC you do not need any fancy or pricy programs to do so, all you need is a simple text editor.
If you want you could use the default notepad application that comes with windows but if you prefer something a bit more advanced that has syntax highlighting and some other groovy features then I suggest using some of the programs I have listed below.

Notepad++
Sublime Text
UltraEdit
GSC Studio By iMCSx

I'm sure if you were to do a quick google search you could find more but these are probably the best ones!

Once you have your desired text editor create a new document and call it "_clientids.txt" for now, the reason we are calling it this because this is an existing file within the game, we are going to overwrite it with our own edited one later.

Understanding The Syntax
If you are new to coding getting your head around the syntax can take quiet a bit of time to get the hang off.
If you are unsure what I mean by "The Syntax" then feel free to google it and come back when you are ready
yIlcNgV.png

The Syntax in GSC is similar to most general programming languages such as C++, C#, Ruby and many more.

The 2 Curly Brackets Are Used To Define where the start and end of your functions/statements are.

Code:
Curly Brackets: { }
Example
funcName()
{              //Starting My Function

}              //Ending It

The Semi-Colon is used to define where a line or statement will end it is also used as a separator in some cases.

Code:
Semi-Colon: ;
Example
funcName(); //By Putting The Semi-Colon I Am Ending My Line/Statement So My Code Knows To Go To The Next Line
Example 2
for (i = 0; i < 10; i++)//In This Example You Can See Im Using The Semi-Colon To Seperate The Variables
{ }

The Brackets are mainly used to indicate an argument, to tell the compiler what data type the function needs to look for first in order to start.

Code:
Brackets: ( )
Example
number = 1;
funcName(number)//Initialising A Function With The Argument being number
//An argument is only to be included if the function supports them if not I would just put brackets with nothing inside
funcName();

The Square Brackets Are Really Only Used To Declare & Access Arrays

Code:
Square Brackets: [ ]
Example
studentAge["Justin"] = 15;
studentAge["Brandon"] = 16;

number = studentAge["Justin"] //Number would know be equal to 15

Quotation Marks Are Used For Declaring A String

Code:
Quotation Marks: " "
Example
myName = "Justin"//myName is now equal to Justin

Understanding Variables
A Variable is used as a storage point, they are used within almost every programming language and are extremely useful for storing any type of data.

Before declaring a variable you should first know about all the different data types, ill list them below.

Code:
String
Boolean
Float
Integer

There is many more but this is all you will need to know for GSC

Now To declare a variable its actually quiet simple, you don't need to say what type of variable it is you are declaring you just need to put the data in, ill put some examples below.

Code:
self.stringVariable = "MyString";
self.integerVariable = 1;
self.floatVariable = 1;
self.booleanVariable = true;
The names of your variables can be anything you desire, by doing self.variableName I am defining a variable for my own player in GSC, I will talk about this later in Basic Scripting.

Using Includes
I'm sure everyone has seen it when at the top of a GSC code you see something that looks like this

Code:
#include maps/mp/gametypes/_file

Think of an include as a way of copying and pasting, what the above code would be doing is copying and pasting all the contents from another GSC file into our GSC file.
But why would we want to do this? well the answer to that is quiet simple, so we can use the functions that are in that GSC file in our own GSC file if you do not want to include the whole GSC file and only wanted to call 1 function from that file then you could do the below method aswell

Code:
self maps\mp\_gscfile::funcName()

This will allow us to call a function from another namespace without including it, the double colon indicates we are calling the function the desired namespace
[/code]

Basic Scripting
Now I Will Talk About The Basics of GSC Scripting!

If you have ever seen GSC Coding before I'm sure you are wondering what it means by self and player and all that other stuff that you see before functions.
Well to start off self means the entity/player that is calling the current script, example lets say my player just spawned and I run the code below.

Code:
self freezeControls(true);

Now from what I have told you we know that self is my player because my player is calling this code, so therefore my players controls will be frozen.

Now for a more complex example.
Lets say we have a function with the argument player.

Code:
freezePlayer(player)
{
    player freezeControls(true);
}

Now I'm sure you are wondering how we are supposed to call this if we don't know what to put in the player argument, well ill explain.
There is an array that stores all the players in it, this is what we will use for our argument.
So to call it we could do both ways listed below.

Code:
freezePlayer(level.players[0]); //Freeze Client 0

freezePlayer(self); //Freeze Player Running The Code

Threading
Now we know the basics lets move onto something a tiny bit more complex, threading.
Threading is extremely useful within GSC, it is mainly used when doing loops, if we were to create a loop on the main thread we would probably freeze the game, but if we were to make a new thread what would happen is that the main thread would keep running and a new thread would run next to it therefore preventing the game from freezing.

Before creating a new thread that uses a loop there is one thing you should know which is that a loop must have a small wait time, if not your game will lag out and freeze ill provide an example shortly of how to add a wait.

to create a new thread its fairly straight forward all you need to do is put thread infront of where your calling your function.

Code:
myLoop()//Defining The Function With The Loop
{
    self endon("disconnect");//Ends the thread if player disconnects or dies.
    self endon("death");
    self.number = 1;
    for (;;)
    {
         self.number++; //Increase the number by 1 constantly
         wait 0.05; //stop it from lagging and freezing.
    }
}

//Calling It On A New Thread
self thread myLoop(); //This will make a new thread and run myLoop

Running The GSC
In Order to load and run the GSC you have made you are going to need the GSC Compiler in order to convert your .txt file into a .gsc file you are also going to need a GSC Injector which is used to load the GSC onto your console/pc

You can find the compilers and loaders on the internet I am not going to provide links to them.

GSC Functions
There is thousands of functions that can be used within GSC, but since there is to many to name I am just going to tell you about some of the useful ones and explain them.

Code:
//<Optional Arg>
waittill(event, <return>) //Waits Until An Event Happens Before Executing The Code Below It
endon(event) //Ends a thread/function when an event happens
iPrintln(text) //Prints text to killfeed
iPrintlnBold(text) //Prints text to center of screen

You can find the names of more functions by using google
or by exploring the gsc files from the game

You can also find a large list of functions here:

Coding A Function Neatly
I'm not sure if everyone is the same as me but I cant stand seeing ugly codes, this does not mean your code is bad it just makes it harder to understand for others and sometimes for yourself if you want to go back and review it to improve it or check something in it.

Below is an example of what I would call an "ugly" code. (I just used a function I found on X website and made it ugly :tongueclosed:)

Code:
crateGun()
{
self endon("disconnect")
self endon("death")
self iPrintln("press shoot button to shoot care packages");
for(;;)
{
self waittill ("weapon_fired");
self thread maps\mp\killstreaks\_supplydrop::dropcrate(self traceBullet(), self traceBullet()[2], "supplydrop_mp", self, self.team, self.killcament, undefined, undefined, undefined);
wait 1;
}
}

Now looking at this code its very hard to read and everything is really close together now below I'm going to show you the neat version of this function

Code:
crateGun()
{
       self endon("disconnect")
       self endon("death")

self iPrintln("Care Package Gun!, Shoot To Spawn Care Packages");
   for(;;)
   {
       self waittill ("weapon_fired");
       self thread maps\mp\killstreaks\_supplydrop::dropcrate(self traceBullet(), self traceBullet()[2], "supplydrop_mp", self, self.team, self.killcament, undefined, undefined, undefined);
       wait 1;
   }
}

You can see I have added indents and changed the iPrintln to something more formal.
If you are unsure how to do your indentations correctly then I will briefly explain.

Indentations are not important and will not affect the way your code functions but like I said before they make your code much more readable and formal. If you are using a text editor like one of the ones I suggested at the start of this tutorial then getting your indentations correct is easy on every keyboard we have a magical button called the "tab button" what this will do is move your writing pointer across a number of spaces depending on where you have pressed tab from.
To indent a function correctly is simple all you have to do is indent your code inside each new code block, example below and further explaination below.
6c2d59affc.png

Basically for each code block you define you have to press tab for each code block you are writing in, if you are writing in the main code block you only indent once if you are writing inside a code block thats in the main code block then you indent twice etc.

As for making your code more understandable try to name things to what they are so they make more sense, example below.

Code:
//Lets Compare
self.swagjumpmodeon = true;
//To
self.superJump = true;

//Which one do you understand more? The Bottom One? yea though so...
//Same goes with function names and anything else that requires naming

So just remember to code your functions correctly especially if you are releasing them!

FAQ
Q: My Game Freezes On Loading Screen
A: This Means You Either Have A Non-Existant Function or A Syntax Error!

Q: Connection Interrupted then Freeze when calling a function or spawning in
A: This Means You Have A Loop With No Waits