Discussion Why Rebug Firmware Can Be Useless

CoreyModzDEX

Veteran
Reaction score
As we all know, rebug firmware is abused in the ps3 modding scene but. It's not really as good as people say it is, Don't get me wrong i like rebug. but it has so much **** going on that it overheats faster "common in fats" but that's not the point. Rebug firmware don't have as good as support features. My disc tray broke and when i was installing a rebug firmware. Witch rebug don't have the blue ray drive patch so i am making a modifed firmware that supports rebug toolbox so i guess you could call it rebug. But i'm adding alot of stuff that will make the system alot. Smoother and for the people stuck on the update loop due. To Installing an non supported blue ray drive firmware consider your self lucky. So i'm just gonna explain how to stop the loop and get to safe mode to Install a blue ray drive patch supported firmware either you could find one on the internet or wait for my rebug toolbox supported 4.70 dex firmware with blue ray drive patch so all you have to do is remove the hard drive and on one of sides next to the connecter for the hard drive. Is a wire connecter, now i do not know if it could be charger or what ever to connect but hook that up to your pc. And go to disk mangement and format it there your done. All you have to do now is put it back in. "For people thinking this is gonna remove your cfw it will not you will need to reinstall updates dlc and stuff but who cares your getting back to your xmb" now go to safe mode and install a disc drive supported firmware that has the patch like rogero i think has it. Or wait till mine releases up to you so now go to system update make sure you have made folder called PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP and put it in right slot aka developer port. Now install it and it will exprience no errors and you will open homebrews with no blackscreen But, if you are deciding going back to rebug then i wouldn't if your disc drive is broken they brake so easily in the older models of fats anyways hope this helped!

Pyrex BLJ

im done :)
Reaction score
a cpu overheating is due to a s*** application of thermal compound (fat ps3's are bad w/ that by default), yea it may be overused but it only got there because it works lol. and if your disc drive broke, get a new one and re-marry it to the system. that's not something the people at rebug have to do since its something in default firmware. i also don't see how installing a firmware broke a disc drive if it had nothing to do with it...

CoreyModzDEX

Veteran
Reaction score
I replace artic 5 silver every 2/6 months with new paste for both the rsx and cpu chips i never said there was a overheating problem i have i just said that rebug is full developer meaning the system will run 10 times harder that's why most people get ylod or worse a melted rsx chip

Pyrex BLJ

Reaction score
I replace artic 5 silver every 2/6 months with new paste for both the rsx and cpu chips i never said there was a overheating problem i have i just said that rebug is full developer meaning the system will run 10 times harder that's why most people get ylod or worse a melted rsx chip
i have never heard of anyone getting a ylod or melted hardware due to a system firmware...

CoreyModzDEX

Veteran
Reaction score
I think someones struggling to read in anyway did i say you can get ylod in firmware update? and yes it is possible cause bricks are right next to ylod use your brain

Pyrex BLJ

Reaction score
I think someones struggling to read in anyway did i say you can get ylod in firmware update? and yes it is possible cause bricks are right next to ylod use your brain
so you can only break something while updating if its rebug? go update w/ ofw and unplug it half way through. tell us what happens then. by your logic you should be completely fine and nothing can go wrong because its not rebug right?

Harry

Certified Sick ℂunt
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been using Rebug for around 3->4 years, I moved to it from ITA. I honestly haven't had an issue with the firmware in the last 2->3 years, however, 6 months in I got soo many errors and f*ck ups on my console (could be that I was a noobie with Rebug toolbox though...). I haven't once opened this console to apply thermal paste, my fan settings are default and my console rarely overheats during long play(/debug/run) times (6->10+ hours). I find this article includes invalid points due to the nature of which it doesn't clearly apply to everyone, just people who can't setup or have neglected certain options.
If you're seriously doing that much work on your console then you will probably end damaging it.

The Dark Side

Former Staff Member
Reaction score
Reading this was kind of difficult because there is little to no spacing.. :sob::coldsweat:

Anyway, as a long time rebug user. I can say that it's overrated. But at the same time its one of the most useful because of those features. It's stable, and has a lot of customization and support. It's definitely far from useless. I'd say it has a ton of useful things in it. For example i can emulate ps2 games on here when my console generally can't. That's pretty nice. :relaxed:

However... it has given me a few problems before. The XMB would constantly be slow and you would have to wait for it to load in-game. I havent had any of the issues you described luckily. But i think the positives weigh out the negatives. :y:

For an average user that uses it for basic game modding and whatnot. This is the firmware for you.

CoreyModzDEX

Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly you will never have these problems If you mess with the console like I do I develop stuff like homebrews for fun witch I can make a function to mess with lv2 etc. But if I was to leave my console without running my own payloads etc. The console would be fine that's why I stopped messing with lv2 functions and payloads lol but thanks I was little confused and overheating I agree that fats are more prone to overheating but I do believe as a developer running a fat console would see the console running hard and clocking the temps up constantly but I moved to a slim and hardly reach over 50 C in-game + idle witch Is amazing with no thermal changes or opening anyways thanks everyone and I will admit. That rebug Is very helpful but If your someone who just plays games and mods you will never see the unstablity of rebug cause you never really mess with settings on rebug toolbox to run functions but again thanks.