Answered Smallest/lowest number from array

Cxwh

Veteran
Reaction score
How do I get the smallest number of an array? In a "clean" way? Maybe use arraySort idk...

thahitcrew

Modder
Reaction score
here's something you could do without the use of any 'helper functions'
Code:
int smallestNum = 99999999;
const int arrayElements = 5;
int idkExampleArray[arrayElements] = { 122, 8, 24, 6, 65 };
for(int i = 0; i < arrayElements; i++)
{
    if(idkExampleArray[i] < smallestNum) smallestNum = idkExampleArray[i];
}
//smallest number will be stored in smallestNum when for loop finishes looping..
//e.g. in this case smallestNum = 6
this would work fine. If you're doing it in GSC you just need to change a few things and it should work fine.

Last edited:

CabCon

Head Administrator
Staff member
Head Staff Team
Reaction score
How do I get the smallest number of an array? In a "clean" way? Maybe use arraySort idk...
@thahitcrew described how to get the lowest number very good.

With this function you can sort an array by their value:
Code:
function func_sort_by_value( &array, b_lowest_first = false )
{
    return merge_sort( array, &func_sort_by_value_compare_func, b_lowest_first );
}

function func_sort_by_value_compare_func( val1, val2, b_lowest_first )
{
    if ( b_lowest_first )
    {
        return val1 < val2;
    }
    else
    {
        return val1 > val2;
    }
}

Be sure to include array_shared.gsc

L

LowKeyDNS

CabCon's solution will work, however, there is a much faster sort for larger arrays called a quicksort, which uses ONlogN as in comparison to the merge sort, ON^2. You can find this function in the array_shared.gsc as well, and code for implementation is as follows:

Code:
#using scripts/shared/array_shared;

function SortWrapper( array )
{
   return array::quickSort( array ); //You may optionally define your own comparison function
}

function GetLowestBySort( array )
{
  return SortWrapper( array )[ 0 ]; //Get the first element in the array, which is our lowest
}

Hope this helps!

thahitcrew

Modder
Reaction score
CabCon's solution will work
Mine does too lmao. You're saying that as if my solution will not work. Like i mentioned my method of getting lowest number doesn't make use of any helper functions and/or may not be the fastest, but it works 100% completly fine

CabCon

Head Administrator
Staff member
Head Staff Team
Reaction score
CabCon's solution will work, however, there is a much faster sort for larger arrays called a quicksort, which uses ONlogN as in comparison to the merge sort, ON^2. You can find this function in the array_shared.gsc as well, and code for implementation is as follows:

Code:
#using scripts/shared/array_shared;

function SortWrapper( array )
{
   return array::quickSort( array ); //You may optionally define your own comparison function
}

function GetLowestBySort( array )
{
  return SortWrapper( array )[ 0 ]; //Get the first element in the array, which is our lowest
}

Hope this helps!
That's a very elegant solution! Top answer. I don't know this way, thank you! Good job! :y:

Also @thahitcrew way, is working also for sure! :grinning:

L

LowKeyDNS

Mine does too lmao. You're saying that as if my solution will not work. Like i mentioned my method of getting lowest number doesn't make use of any helper functions and/or may not be the fastest, but it works 100% completly fine
I didn't mean it that way at all :smile:. There are always several ways to solve a problem, and I just wanted to help out!