Tutorial Black Ops 3 Multiplayer GSC Modding - How to start coding a mod? Startup Mod +Download

CabCon

Head Administrator
Staff member
Head Staff Team
Reaction score
Hello guys,
in this tutorial I want to assist every old GSC coder from a older Call of Duty. I will show you here how to make a mod which will call a function on any spawn of the player. You can continue with your code after that. :grinning: So let's get started.

You want to create a zombie mod?
Zombie version of this tutorial: Tutorial - Black Ops 3 Zombie GSC Modding - How to start coding a mod? Startup Mod +Download | CabConModding
  1. First of all you need to download my startup mod file, here.
  2. After you download the file, go to your Black Ops 3 Game file directory. And create a Folder called 'mods' inside of it.
    02f7c98a00c5484ba3e7ae0be9ff8b76.png
  3. Unpack the download .rar-file and place the folder 'mp_startup_mod' inside of the 'mods' folder.
  4. After that open the folder 'mp_startup_mod' and go to -> scripts\mp\gametypes and open the file '_clientids.gsc'.
  5. Here you can see now the file _clientids.gsc:
    bc2c4f29c4324724802e611d91753bf9.png
    You can start your mod here in the on_player_spawned function. But before I will show you how to load this mod now.
  6. First launch 'modtools_launcher.bat' in the Black Ops 3 directory. And select the following items:
    673fda46aa95485fa635853be1d08287.png
  7. Click on Build and wait while the game is building your mod:
    a995ac52f6bc490e90d2b26e1ba0914f.png
    If you get the done, you can start Black Ops 3!
  8. Go in the Main Menu of it in 'Mods' and select 'mp_startup_mod':
    8cc81a0f1c964fc19b2fbb293d8eea7c.png
  9. After that start a custom private match in the multiplayer:
    3c94c66f67434736b5a079f1dad5e79b.png
    You will see that we get our println at every spawn! :grinning: You can start coding your own project now! :grinning:
That's all I hope this helped everyone to start coding with Black Ops 3! If you used our tutorial it would be really great if you give us credits, but you do not need! :grinning: Thank you!

If you have any question, problem or suggestion -> write it below!

Regards,
CabCon!

Attachments

• mp_startup_mod.rar
    988 bytes · Views: 2,666
Last edited:

CabCon

Head Administrator
Staff member
Head Staff Team
Reaction score
Do we have to re-do the modtools everytime we make a change to the menu?
Yes, you need to rebuild the mod and load the mod everytime new if you changed something and you want to see the effect. :smile: This is caused by the linker... I hope they will find a better solution soon... but I don't thing they will find or make one :smile:

Regards,
CabCon.

Scrappy

Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the clear tutorial!

I've got one little problem thou. I tried building the mod, loaded the mod etc. Works like a charm. Point is that I made a custom gametype, but can't seem to load it through the console with /set_gametype test; map_restart

How should I load new gametype or do I need to build them in another way?

Thanks in advance

CabCon

Head Administrator
Staff member
Head Staff Team
Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the clear tutorial!

I've got one little problem thou. I tried building the mod, loaded the mod etc. Works like a charm. Point is that I made a custom gametype, but can't seem to load it through the console with /set_gametype test; map_restart

How should I load new gametype or do I need to build them in another way?

Thanks in advance
Hello Scrappy,
nice to hear that It helped you to develope your mod! :smile: Generally we are answering questions/requests and problems in our support section: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Scripts Question | CabConModding

But I think you just need to enable the developer mode here to activate the '/set_gametype test; map_restart'! Simple type into the console (open with ^) '/developer 2'! And try it again!

If you have another question or problem do not hesitate to create a topic about it here! You're welcome!

Regards,
CabCon!

CabCon

Head Administrator
Staff member
Head Staff Team
Reaction score
Hi why i got this :
d367cfde13cf4f8ab342ce9247081b22.png
There is something wrong with your deffiles. I recommend you to try these thinks to fix it:
  1. Verify your game cache
  2. If the game cache verification didn't fix the problem, download my deffiles and try with them:
    You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
  3. If booth didn't fix the problem reinstall the mod tools!
Regards,
CabCon.

FMpwnd

Veteran
Reaction score
There is something wrong with your deffiles. I recommend you to try these thinks to fix it:
  1. Verify your game cache
  2. If the game cache verification didn't fix the problem, download my deffiles and try with them:
  3. If booth didn't fix the problem reinstall the mod tools!
Regards,
CabCon.
Thx for ur help but i do all 3 step but didn't fix the problem

CabCon

Head Administrator
Staff member
Head Staff Team
Reaction score
Yup the 2
Ok, than I don't know how to fix it. Take a look inside here, that is the official mod tool discord chat, there are people who have more knowledge about the bo3 mod tools. I'm very sure that they can help you:

Regards,
CabCon.