Tutorial How to use custom zombie maps manually without steam?

iNoctis00

Veteran
Reaction score
Just to make people know about this little issue..
Sometimes, when you download a Map from here, you can see that his name is like: "74836589.zip" and there isn't a mod ready to use, just follow those little steps:
1. Extract the folder;
2. Rename it to "zone";
3. Now, open your new renamed folder and open the file "Workshop" with Notepad;
4. Just navigate trough the strings and locate this string: "FolderName": "zm_xxxx";
5. Create a new folder like the name that the string say, ex: "zm_xxxx";
6. Put the "zone" folder in the new one;
7. Put the "zm_xxxx" folder in "usermaps" folder and enjoy! :grinning:

Sorry for my bad english, I'm Italian and I'm still learning the basics.. :c

darklord278

Insane-Known Member
Reaction score
I have tried to play the maps i download bt i cant i did the usermaps method and nothing happen and i alredy have a zone folder and it doenst let me play the maps what should i do?

CabCon

Head Administrator
Staff member
Head Staff Team
Reaction score
I have tried to play the maps i download bt i cant i did the usermaps method and nothing happen and i alredy have a zone folder and it doenst let me play the maps what should i do?
There could be a problem with your game version or your installation. Could you post a few screenshot of the folder you created? :smile:

trickx74

Insane-Known Member
Reaction score
well i found the solution if you follow this guide and still not working:

Sometimes, when you download a Map from here, you can see that his name is like: "74836589.zip" and there isn't a mod ready to use, just follow those little steps:
1. Extract the folder;
2. Rename it to "zone";
4. Just navigate trough the strings and locate this string: "FolderName": "zm_xxxx";

SOLUTION: inside the zone folder you will find files .ff .xpak example zm_aaa.ff zm_aaa.xpak well to fix this problem just rename the folder of the mod to same name of that file exactly same letters same mayus and this will work 100% i had this problem with 12 maps now all that 12 maps fixed sorry i dont have perfect english but i want to help u guys

Honteatoi1

Reaction score
please help! i downloaded it but i dont know where to put it. i crated usermap and placed it there but it doesnt show in the map menu and also mod menu doesnt work too i have dlc 3 only now and do i need all dlcs to play custom zombies map?
thanks
Try renaming your map zm_''name here''

HowIsLife

Reaction score
Im having this problem loading up a custom map
upload_2018-5-5_13-20-48.png

Now tried to fix it by renaming the map folder to zm_moe but it gives the same error.
Edit 3: Thanks to user iNoctis00 i can now play maps.

Last edited:

reyfor11

Reaction score
i have all dlc update 17 i load the map, sais mod loaded usermaps, but then ingame i cant pause.
i tried the keys and joysticks but nothing happens.
tried every solution given and nothin.
i also tried with zombie chronicles

Myszaq

Reaction score
FOR EVERYONE HAVING THE ISSUE OF NOT SEEING MAPS/FASTFILE ERROR
The instructions above are unclear. Here is how to resolve both issues.
1. ENSURE THAT YOU ARE RUNNING ON UPDATE 17+. For me it displays "88.00.00" in top right corner in the main menu.
2. Turn off your game. Go to your Black Ops folder and to your installed usermaps. They are likely to be in folders like"4753985" we will need to change that. If name of the folder is something like zm_tr3, you are okay with the next step.
3. Go inside the folder of your custom map. (I will be using tr3 croft manor as an example.)
Find the file workshop.json - edit it with notepad. Then find "FolderName": "zm_tr3"(instead of zm_tr3 there will be code name of your map.) Copy the name. In that case, it is zm_tr3. Close the workshop.json file and go back to the usermaps folder. Now rename the parent folder of your map with what you just copied. Current name: zm_tr3
4. At this point, the map should be VISIBLE in the menu, but it may have a black box on the preview. After you launch the map, it will crash (fastfile error). This is due to the game beeing unable to locate/read zone files. To fix that, go inside of your map's folder in usermaps. Create a new folder, called "zone". After that, cut ALL of the map's files and paste them to the zone folder. Your map folder should now contain only "zone". Inside "zone" there should be all the map files.
5. Go to your game, play the map - ENJOY

ramranchiscool

Reaction score
1. Extract the folder;
2. Rename it to "zone";

Sorry for my bad english, I'm Italian and I'm still learning the basics.. :c

thanks a lot for this this was a very helpful post and it worked really good why don't they use this for the first post. This was the only method that worked for me really thanks a lot for the help!